Thursday, July 21, 2011

Crochet Preemie Baby Hats


I am currently making baby hats for preemie baby's,some are small enough for the precious ones we loose. I will be donating these and more to my local country hospital.
I got the sizing from Bev,s blog link here.

 I made mine with AU 5 ply and a 3.5m hook.
I began the first round with 12 dc.
Ch 4, work 11 dc into 4th ch from hook, sl st to join round

Second round was increased to 24 dc.
ch 3, work 1 dc in same space, work 2 dc in each dc around, sl st to join round

Third round was increased to 36 dc.
Ch 3, work 2 dc in next dc, *work 1 dc in next dc, work 2 dc in next dc* repeat from *to* to end, sl st to join round
The hat measure's approx 22 cm around.

I made 5 more rounds in dc (work 1 dc in each dc to end of round, sl st to join round, repeat 4 more times (5 times in total)
Then I did 2 rounds of hdc for the rim of the hat.
Work 1 hdc in each st around for 2 more rows, finish off, weave in ends.
My hat length is approx 7.5 cm long.

These little hats can be difficult to measure with a tape, you can take some yarn to place around your hat circle and place it against the tape to get your measurements.
All hats have a small pattern piece in them to make them more appealing.