Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rag Crochet and Stiffener

Ever tried to use a stiffener? Well I had never tried the process up until the past few weeks. The baskets I have made of late were in need of a stiffener, not only to shape them but to keep them in that particular form, I was aiming for ever.

Firstly I did dome research on line.
The only thing I had lots of on hand of at the time was sugar, so I used that method, 5 days later and not so sticky, they were dried.

Mmm, not as hard as I would have liked, I forgot to bring them in from out side and the night air gave them a slight limp, not the for ever I was aiming for.


Back to the drawing board, I rinsed the sugar solution from them (definately would not have lasted for ever) and dipped them into a new solution of PVA wood glue and water that was slightly heated on the stove. I had already found the perfect shaping tools (kitchen bowls) and once I had squeezed the excess mixture from the baskets, I put the shaping tools in place, made the finer adjustments then put them on big plastic trays (won't stick to them) and then out into the sunshine for a couple of days.



Hard as a rock and the drying time was halved.

The glue dries clear and the remaining glue from the squeezing process has been kept as I will try to re-use this for another project.

Once the baskets are fully completed I will post their pictures. I'm hoping for some lovely country decor'

Here is a very stiff hanging heart basket, it was dried whilst hanging from a nail.